Pages

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Rich Colors

I find it very intriguing how my thoughts about colors have transitioned through my lifetime.

For instance, even as late as my mid 30s, I thought a champagne-colored car was the best looking car out there!  I thought it felt and looked and implied a rich look or feel.  You know, gold or champagne even implies rich.  Now course, I would never buy a champagne-colored car.

I also find it interesting that in my low to mid twenties, I always yearned for dark wood furniture and thought it was the bomb. I thought it had that "rich" look to it.

I think I forked over about $1,000 on my credit card in my late 20s to buy this really pretty, large credenza with lots of shelves and drawers.  Yep, all because it was dark cherry.  It didn't match one single thing in any room (of course) of my rent house back then in Florida, so I put it in one of the spare bedrooms.  I pretty much just used it as a bookshelf, not really what it was probably intended for.

But it was pretty useful and clever as it had lots of nooks and crannies and shelves and drawers. I actually really adored it.  Until I noticed all the dust.  I didn't even think about how the dark wood would advertise dust so much easier, lol.  How would I know?  I never owned cherry-wood furniture before in my life.

I noticed my light-colored furniture, you could not see the dust as much. And I didn't have to clean it as often; even though I probably should have, lol.  Hey I was young!

In my current house (of a woman in her mid 40s), all my furniture is light-colored.  And I'm even transitioning over to white-colored wood furniture when I have the opportunity.  Those colors seem to open the house up more, like rays of sunshine.  To me, light-colored wood and white colors have a very calming, pretty, open, peaceful "feel" to it.  Which is the exact definition of rich to me now.  Ironic, huh?

Peace is now my definition of "rich."  Not rich with money, but rich in life.

Still, it's pretty interesting how the colors in our lives change as we grow up.

(and yes, I currently own a white car!)


No comments: