Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Music Through the Ages

I wonder why when I hear a song from the 80s and 90s, I can imagine where I was in my life, but not who I was with.  But in my 30s and 40s, certain songs bring up memories / feelings of the boyfriend I was with at the time.

In my teens and 20s, I can recall if I was in college, high school, living in Florida, or certain cities in Texas, etc.  But when the songs are played on the radio, I don't think of boyfriends from back then.

But in my 30s and 40s, when I hear certain songs, I don't think of where I was in my life, but who had my heart.

I wonder why I can't recall that from the teens and 20s?

Was it because back then I wasn't as close to my boyfriends?  Or because we didn't have a song that resonated with our "romance"?  Or because as we get older relationships mean more and therefore as a normal consequence so do certain songs we associate with our boyfriend/girlfriend at the time?

Or, when we are young we don't hear the words in songs?  lol

Maybe our emotional connections change with time. I can say that it seems like relationships in my 30s and 40s were def more intense feeling-wise with certain guys and more meaningful.  I had a boyfriend for 5 1/2 years in my late 20s, but I can't recall one song from back then that would remind me of him, like certain songs in the last 10-15 years can about other guys.

Further, I was with one of my ex's for 7 years in my 30s, only one song (when I hear it) reminds me of him, and that song was only from the beginning our relationship.

That leads me to wonder - do long-lasting relationships over years and years, do they have more than one song that when it's played they think of their loved one?  Or is it only in the beginning stages of relationships does our brain pin songs to?

Weird.



No comments: