Pages

Monday, January 9, 2017

Verbal Abuse Memory Trigger

Tough watching "Evil Lives Here" last night on the ID channel.  A guy was explaining when he would get beat by his Dad as a child - usually over very small, miniscule infractions.

Reminded me very strongly all the times my Dad would lay into me.  My Mom and I were verbally abused so much and so loudly, that my neighbors could hear the damage to our souls all the way from our house to theirs.  My neighbor told me once she thought that one day they would eventually hear no noise or sounds... and would need to call the cops.

Luckily that never happened.

One time my Dad laid into me because a fork wasn't completely dry when I put it in the silverware drawer after drying the dishes.  I used a towel to dry it, but it was still a little wet and he didn't like that at all.

I remember arriving to high school in tears one morning. My teacher asked me what was going on as she hugged me.  She was older with white hair, and a limp prolly from a hip injury.  I bawled telling her I get yelled at all the time and forced to stay awake at all hours because I had to listen to my Dad yelling at me for hours on end.

She told me to just hang in there - I only had about a year and a half left of high school and then I'd be on my way to college.

Little did I know this yelling and verbal abuse would continue off and on until my mid 30s.

I survived, though, and so did my Mom.  The wounds and words and memories are still fresh sometimes though.  As in the case of the reminder from the tv show, or in some nightmares about 3 times a year.




No comments: