Pages

Friday, September 9, 2016

Sticking Alone During Depression

I mentioned to a friend of mine a few weeks ago that I was depressed.  Her response was, "Well, why didn't you reach out to me?  You know you can call at any time."

It got me thinking.... and made me realize.... that all the times I've been depressed, I never reach out to anyone.

When we are depressed we don't think, "dang, I sure want to call someone."

No.

We actually don't want to call anyone at all.  Sometimes we wont even answer the phone if we are too deep in depression.  So, why would it possibly cross my mind to call someone to talk?  We don't even think to call a friend to go hang out.  It's just not what we think about or how we feel when we are depressed.

We might eventually realize we need to seek advice or help after months or years, but at first and for awhile, we are too busy feeling bad/sad/depressed to even think of reaching out to friends for some relief or distraction.

Depression is a "lone disease."  We want to be alone. 




No comments: