Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Eating as a Child, Same as an Adult

I never liked rice if it wasn't white rice.  Even to this day, still don't.

So, when I would venture off campus during my senior year of high school with one of my friends, Blanca, to the Mexican restaurant in the mall, I would order cheese enchiladas (no onions, please), I would also say, "no rice."

So, they would bring me a side of lettuce and chopped tomatoes.  I think they did this for presentation.  Otherwise, the plate looked a tad bland with only two enchiladas and beans lol.  And so I eventually tapped into the lettuce and tomato as I took a bite of the enchilada.  It became a beautiful friendship that has stayed with me all these years.

And so here I am almost 30 years later and every time I order enchiladas (still with no onions), I ask for a side of lettuce and tomato in lieu of rice.

Here is a photo of a dinner I had just a week or so ago: 

Still a child :)

Pappasitos.



1 comment:

Babylon Brother said...

You might want to give "Chicken & Yellow Rice" a try on your next visit to the Tampa Bay area. The Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City is the place to go. It's a Spanish staple, especially in the many Spanish-Italian-Cuban restaurants here. If you try "Spanish" yellow rice on your own at home, be sure to buy the "Vigo"-brand yellow rice in the store and not the Indian "Mahatma" brand. It's different.