Pages

Friday, August 5, 2016

Who Are You At Your Funeral?

Everyone talks a lot about how much money they wish they could make. And if they don't talk about it, they probably think about it.

However one of my friends made a very enlightening comment to me about money and death. He said he was at the funeral of rich man and when people came up to the microphone to talk about the gentleman, they didn't talk about his wealth or how much money he made or how many toys he bought. Instead what people talked about was his character and what a great guy he was.  You would never have known sitting in the audience how wealthy the man was.

"I was at a funeral a long time ago where the description of a certain persons' life represented huge triumph’s, helping others, selflessness, etc.  He was also extremely well to do, but that was not mentioned nor even remembered.  Rather the impact he left behind on the world. "

I think it's a very amazing and interesting point he shared with me. Because you see, the person that told me this is actually a wealthy man himself. And he would rather be remembered and talked about for who he was and how he treated people, rather than how much money he made.

Obviously affecting others’ lives positively and making a difference is more important to us individually than how large our bank account is or what car we drive.

What’s even more interesting to me about his thoughts about this is, I wonder if the thoughts crossed his mind because he now has money?  I don’t have a lot of money and this has never, ever crossed my mind. Or, is it that I've never thought about what people might say at my funeral about me? Or, was he impressed at that funeral how much the guy had touched so many lives, even though his wealth wasn't mentioned?

Either way. Something to think about..... your impact to those around you.



No comments: