Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Would You Want to be You?

I love Denis Waitley's the Psychology of Winning audio tapes. But I fully admit the first 2-3 disks are my favorite so I hardly listen to the full 6 disks.

So, I found myself walking along my neighborhood last night for exercise and de-stressing (going on week 3, VERY excited for myself!) and was listening to disk 4 and heard a profound thing I don't recall from before.  The first 2-3 disks I could prolly recite to you, but this seemed new to me because I don't get through all 6 disks every year.  And it was fabulous! 

If I can recall well for you, basically, Denis Waitley asks if you were your wife, husband, best friend, daughter, boss, employee, etc., would you like yourself?  For example, would you be happy with you as your boss?

If not, obviously his advice is to change that.

But it got me thinking.  Would I like me as a girlfriend?  Would I like me as a friend?

Looking honestly:

I would really like me as a friend.  I'm supportive, there for my friends, and would do anything for them. They can also confide in me.  Further, I try to have a good time in life and take them with me on the ride!

I would really like me as a coworker.  I work well with others, get projects done, implement tough tasks, meet deadlines, and am considered one of the go-to people in my office.

I would also really like me as an employee.  My boss can count on me and I'm not only productive but a good employee who shows respect and truly cares for my duties and my customers.

That leaves two areas:  daughter and girlfriend.


While I have some great attributes to these relationships (I'm giving and responsible), I shyly and unfortunately admit I could be a better girlfriend and daughter.

I could try harder to be more understanding when I get over-emotional with my guy, and I could try to spend more quality time with my Mom.

I take care of both my b/f and Mom in certain ways, but I could take care of the relationship with them better. 

Are you a good you?  Would you want you to be your wife/husband/girlfriend/boss/friend/employee?

I think this is a very profound question.  I love it!  One that makes you look at yourself honestly. 

So, would you want to be you in your relationship with others?

No comments: