Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Retirement On the Horizon

I went to a financial advisor the other day.  My very first time going to one.

With the idea that I am eligible to retire just 9 years away, it was time to see if I can/should retire.

What I found out was I can retire when I'm eligible  Yay!  And not only that, if I do retire when I'm eligible, I will be fine financially.

It was quite comforting to get confirmation that I don't have to keep working past that eligibility age if I don't want to.  And that leads me to my thoughts today.  Just because I can retire, should I?

I have decided two things:  If I still love coming to work, I will prolly not retire.  If I do decide to retire, I need to make sure of my plans of what to do next.

In other words, I can't see myself just traveling the countryside the rest of my life.  Sure, I can do that for the first year maybe, but after that I will want to do something that gives me purpose, like I have found several times in my life (and currently have with my job).

I am thinking I would like to continue to help with end-of life-care services somehow.  That would mean a career change, or maybe volunteering.  Either way, I feel like I am not done helping others.  And lately I have helped a few friends recently with the loss of a loved one and can tell that's where my heart lays right now of how to help others.

I wonder when I read back on this entry in 9 years where I will be with my thoughts about my retirement plans and options?  Sounds exciting already where I will be!

:)

No comments: