Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Grandma in a Nursing Home for the Holidays?

My Mom was in a nursing home for a couple of months for rehabilitation.  She had been in the hospital for so long and got so weak, she had to go to a rehab place.  Unfortunately, rehab places are entrenched into nursing homes; the ONE place my Mom NEVER ever, EVER wanted to go to.

However, the fact that she would be out after she was able to walk again pushed her to try harder on her exercises.

I admit it took me awhile to find a nursing home I liked for her - and even the one I found wasn't really great, but it was 90% better than the other pee-smelling ones I visited.

The timing of my Mom's stay was brutal- over the biggest holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.  I finally brought her VERY happy ass home Jan 4th after 2 months in the wretched place.

Over the Christmas holidays, my Mom got herself a roommate!  Boy, was she ever PISSED.  All that time in her own room, and then they had someone move in with her.  Turns out is was only temporary.  And unfortunately, a tradition for this woman.

She was a frail little thing, way over 70, and didn't speak one single word the whole time she was sharing a room with my Mom over the Christmas weekend.  Turns out the nurses knew her already - her family dropped her off over the holidays routinely so they could go out of town to see (I presume) other family members.

But, "they" left Grandam behind.    Whoever "they" is.

I felt so badly for this woman as she was handled every time she had to use the bathroom, she was brought food, and all she did was lay in her bed all day.  While that actually describes my Mom's stay as well, at least I visited her every day and my Mom was well-aware she was loved by me. And, I cared for her butt (one of my fav posts!)

I don't recall if Grandma watched tv or not, but maybe she did.  She didn't do anything, she just, well, laid in her bed the entire 4-5 days and didn't say one single word the entire time or do one single extra thing.  No reading, no talking, no... nothing.

Then one afternoon after work I go visit my Mom as usual, and Grandma is gone.  Whisked away back to her familiar, more comfy bed at home with her "family."

I felt sad she was alone during the holidays.  Although my Mom did try to talk to her, she was alone nonetheless.  And I can't imagine the pain of the family who had to broach this the first time - "we simply can't take Grandma.... what are our options?" - that must have been an extremely tough situation / decision for them.  And yes, of course my heart is pissed they would consider doing THIS option.  But of course, I'm not in their shoes.

I don't know if Grandma knew what was going on, tho.  She wasn't herself, this frail, shy, confused woman who kept to herself.

Still sad.  Grandma's should never be treated like that imo.  It was heartbreaking.


No comments: