Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Behind every recipe is a story: Tacos


Back in the mid 1990s, I was VERY picky with food.  I still ate like a child, and would not try a lot of different types of food in fear of my taste buds having another rejection, lol.

One day, I go to my dear friend June's house, and she had just made some tacos for her and her husband.  I think I stopped by to drop something off or pick something up, as dinner plans had not been made with her.  But, ironically, I was STARVING.  Omg, I was SO hungry, I actually almost had to try the tacos.  Even though I was SO very picky.

I was nervous, as it seemed there were quite a few "things" in the seasoning of the taco meat that scared me (the unknowns!).  Because I could SEE there wasn't just meat, I was timid and nervous.  But I was too hungry not to try it.

I took a bite.

And could not believe how so delicious it was!

I ate the whole thing!  I was ecstatic!

"What is in your tacos?"  I exclaimed with excitement.

"It's a secret,"  she replied laughing.

She watched me devour another taco, expressing how SO good they were.

She finally got up, went to the cupboard and grabbed a few things.

"Here is my secret," she reveals.

McCormick Taco mix (original, not mild, not spicy).  BUT!  Then she adds Fajita seasonings and Lemon Pepper - which is what makes it so dang tasty!


I make them to this day, and it takes less than 10 minutes prep time!

Cook hamburger meat, add taco seasoning and water.  Come to a bowl.  Then add a lot of fajita seasoning and a lot of lemon pepper.  I would say half to a full teaspoon of each.  Taste as you go along after half a teaspoon, to see if you should add more or not.

While it cooks for 5 minutes, I heat up the stand-alone corn tortillas, shred the lettuce and copped the tomatoes, while setting out sour cream and finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

YUM!



No comments: