Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Bug Man

My Mom did not leave the house, except when I drove her to her doc appts.  We would occasionally go to Walmart, because they had a scooter she could use.  She was embarrassed she had to wear an oxygen line and have an oxygen bottle with her at all times, and she was too weak to walk.

So, she didn't have many friends.  My neighbor came to visit her, I lived with her, her nurse came once a week (that she adored), and then there's The Bug Man.

My Mom either liked you, or didn't.  If her favorite nurse couldn't come by and a temp came instead, my Mom would be short, snappy, and rude.  She wanted her favorite nurse that made her feel comfortable and loved.  Not someone who just took vitals with no personality or kindness.

Although I never met him, my Mom mentioned The Bug Man to me several times.  Todd visited 4 times a year for 3 years and he took the time to talk to her.  She enjoyed seeing him, even for those few times.  She's a talker if she liked you and because she wasn't around people a lot, I'm sure she talked Todd's ear off!  :)

Todd happened to come by the house for an appt, the same week my Mom passed.  I was home, trying to find my lost way through the empty, lonely house when he rang the door bell.

To see his reaction to the news that my Mom passed, told my heart just how much he cared for her, will miss her, and enjoyed their talks.

8 months later, I leave him a note along with the check and tell him simply, "I miss my Mom so much."

He left me this note, which makes me cry every time I re-read it:

(click photo to enlarge)

No comments: