Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Good Friends, Different Levels in Life

I think you all know that I love learning new things. And when something amazing catches my ears, I like to share it via my blog so we can smile together.

I heard this from a therapist the other day. I actually thought she was going to say something else and she completely surprised me. 

I divulged to my therapist (that's what we do with them, right? lol) that I was afraid a friend of mine would not understand that I have some stress and anxiety about an event coming up. The therapist tried to tell me that's it's okay that my life has changed and this is something that I just don't feel comfortable doing anymore. The therapist told me, "We have to live in our own truth."  You would think that statement (we have to live in our own truth) was the epiphany moment. 

It wasn't.  Sure, it was also powerful (right?!), but so was something more.

When I expressed I didn't think my friend would understand my emotions, the therapist responded... "Then she's not on the same level as you."


Thought for sure she was going to say, "then she's not a good friend because she doesn't understand."  Instead she threw me completely off! And I loved what she said. And she is 100 percent correct: sometimes we just aren't on the same level.

Some friends will make judgment of our decisions and may be hurt and or upset at us. But if we realize they're just not at the same level as we are right now, then hopefully deep down we understand their feelings. 

But her choice of words was impactful to me. Friends can be great friends, and throughout life, especially as we all experience different things and or mature at a different rate and/or experience learning experiences at different times in our lives or whatever - that's okay, right? Yes! And this understanding will help our relationship with them.

I really loved it!  

Don't you all love learning with me too??

No comments: