Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2019

High School YearBook Thoughts

As I've mentioned a few times, I am de-cluttering my house. Honestly, decluttering like never before! I'm really enjoying it.

A couple of months ago I came across my yearbooks from high school. I found my name in two of them and there are a few pictures of me - mostly in group photos and also my yearbook photo.

I decided I was going to recycle them - no reason to keep them.

I happened to mention this to a friend at work and she was very surprised. So, I asked her had she kept all her yearbooks (she's only 10 years older), and she exclaimed, "Absolutely! I look through them often."

Wow, was I surprised, as here I was ready to throw mine out the upstairs window like a hawk eyeing it's prey, into the recycle bin.

She couldn't believe I wanted to recycle mine.

I tried to explain I didn't feel the need to keep them.

I mean, there were all these comments from classmates who wrote very nice things about me. Yet, I honestly didn't recognize or remember one person as I read a few of them. Additionally, did they really know me back then? Hell, I didn't even know myself back then. Further, I would rather hear from people that are in my life now or from people that I at least remember lol.

She asked me, "I love going through my yearbooks. You don't go through your yearbooks from highschool?"

"Uh, no."

I can't even remember the last time I opened them up - I'm guessing over twenty years ago, in my 20s.

I was really surprised to hear she reminisced about high school.

But then she shared some insight and it became obvious why:

She was a popular student in high school and also from a small town!  Well, no wonder her high school years where more memorable!  Further, she still keeps in touch with a lot of those people and they are all still friends.

Here's comes Miss Opposite: There were 650 people in my graduating class alone. It was a large high school and while I remember getting along with everyone, I don't recall being one of the "popular" kids (I can't even remember if there were popular kids, lol). I can only remember two names from high school and that's because I'm still friends with them today, lol. Further, the last thing I ever wanted to do was go to any high school reunion. That proves how little interest I had about my high school years.

I just don't really think about that time in my life.

I presume this sentiment is common if high school wasn't memorable?


No comments: