Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2018

I'm Scared of Monkeys

I think we all have something we are scared of.  Maybe for you it's heights, snakes, midgets, dogs, or spiders, etc.  My "frightener" is monkeys.

I don't think they are cute, and I don't want to be around them, and I don't have an appreciation for them.  Esp the small ones - they are the scariest to me!

I have a friend who was bit by a dog when she was little and she is literally petrified of dogs who roam free and come anywhere near her.  PETRIFIED.

Well, I'm not really petrified of monkeys, mostly because they don't roam free.  But, I def don't like them and I def don't see them as cute.

When I was little girl at the San Antonio zoo, I climb my cute butt over the fence to grab a few pieces of the food for the monkeys that were on the cement between their cage and some bushes.  The bushes were meant as a guard so we couldn't touch or reach their cages.  Well, I realize that now lol.  But as a small child, I didn't have any change to buy their food from the gumball-looking contraption and instead I saw the food over there on the ground for free.  Hey, I was a child, don't judge!  lol.

As I slipped from the eyes of my Mom, and climbed that fence (it was a short and metal fence, but sturdy), I got by the bushes, picked up the quarter-sized snack and BAM!  A dang monkey grabbed my arm hard!  I swung my head around to see what was grabbing me and omg I was terrified!  Our eyes were fixated on each other and I jerked back as hard as I could to try and break free from this killing creature.  After what seemed like 5 minutes, I was finally able to escape his grasp!  I then jumped back over the fence like I was an Olympic hurdler in first place.  I was scared, shaking, heart racing, wait - petrified!

I have never forgotten that day.  And so of course now I don't think monkeys are cute... at all.

Dang, I was just trying to gather food for them - to give back to them. 

Since then, when I go to zoos I barely look at the killers, I mean monkeys.  Gorillas are okay, orangutans are fine and even a little funny.  I'll check them out.  But their ancestors, the crazy-ass monkeys.  Not interested.  I'm still SCARED!


No comments: