Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Reading Glasses and Aging

I remember when I was almost 30 years old I went to lunch with my boss.  He had to use reading glasses to read the menu.

He tried at first not to use them but then had to take them out to read.  He made some weird comment like he hated to use them because it indicated that he was getting old (or older).  My response was, "I never thought that before."

Fast forward about 8 years and I'm traveling with a girlfriend who is in her mid 40s and sure enough at dinner she grabs her reading glasses. 

She says to me,  unashamed, "I can't read in the dark light. "

I was like,  uhhhh...what?

I didn't understand. 

As I approached the 40th year of my life, I heard more often I would need reading glasses.

It wasn't until about 43 that I borrowed a friends reading glasses because I could barely read the letters and words in the dark.

I was like, "hey I can see this!"

I immediately bought a pair.

Then found myself needing reading glasses when it was bright, too, not just when the lighting was low.

I bought a bulk pack from Sam`s, and now have a pair downstairs, in my purse, near my bed, in the living room,  in the kitchen, etc.  Now it made sense why my Dad had sooooo many pairs of reading glasses all around the house that I would stumble upon, lol. 

However, I don't feel like it signifies I'm old/older like my boss felt.  I'm just happy I pull it out and can see!

The only thing I noticed is I have to use them more and more.  That part I really don't like.   I fee like my eyes NEED them now instead of just HELPING me see close up.

BTW,  I can see close, but need contacts to see far.  And only need my reading glasses when I have my contacts on.

But I don't feel old.  Plus, I know when the younger peeps see me using them, they won't think anything of it either.  And my older friends can simply relate lol.

Here i am with my newer zebra striped glasses and case:




No comments: