Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Hurt

"They didn't mean to hurt me."

Say it again.

"They didn't mean to hurt me."

People don't go through life deliberately hurting other people. If they do hurt me, they probably don't even know it!

I wish I could burn this into my brain for those times my heart aches so badly I can't believe it, or when I want to quickly lash out with a crappy response, or for those times after I get off the phone and just want to cry as I sit there in astonishment.

Reminder from my other blog entry:

People never become defensive about what you're saying.

People become defensive because of why they think you're saying it.
I should think that way, but I know that I can move forward much faster during times of hurt reminding myself that people do not deliberately hurt me, than trying to make my mind rethink years of harden memories.

Repeat After Me:

People do not deliberately hurt others.

3 comments:

R Riley said...

Most of the times people don't mean to hurt you.. especially if they value you or your friendship. But there are times.. and you know of several instances I have told you of in my life that people DO mean to hurt you. They say things to "get back at you" or "one up" you. The trick is distinguishing between those who do mean to hurt you, or don't care about your feelings, and those who truly just don't know what they are saying and how it is affecting you.

Samm said...

That's right. They didn't and most likely, it has nothing to do with us. Remember Agreement #2 Don't Take Anything Personally and Agreement #3 Don't Make Assumptions.
http://tinyurl.com/6kx5f9

Luv ya!

Melinda said...

I have the Four Agreements as a blog entry. I think I need to add it to the side of my blog as a reminder (obviously). Thanks, Samm!

To R Riley - sad you have been the recipient of deliberate hurt. :( I think mine is more because was I so depressed, I was already taking things wrong so I didn't have a clear head anyway. :(