Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017

UnGrateful Presents

I don't understand how people can share why they don't like gifts.  Well, to be fair, they didn't show non-appreciation, but they explained why they aren't going to use it or returned it to me.

While I did learn from those instances (zipper on wrong side, allergic reaction to jewelry), it still hurts me a little to hear.

And I know exactly why.

My Dad didn't hide his feelings if he didn't like gifts.  One time during Christmas he opened a box of slippers I had bought him, saw the size, got angry they wouldn't fit, and then promptly THREW them across the room!  They hit the wall, fell to the floor all abandoned.  Kinda like my heart.

If any little thing was wrong with a gift or not what he exactly wanted, he showed it, yelled about it, or whatever.  Never just said "thank you" with a smile to show appreciation.  It was all about his hurt feelings and the crappy gift he thought I gave him, even though they were all bought with thought and love.

When I receive a gift I'll never use or don't like, I don't dare say a word as I know how it feels to be on the receiving end.  I can't even fathom ever saying anything but "thank you," even if I don't understand it lol.

And I know it's all because of the way my Dad negatively reacted when he didn't "love" his gifts.


1 comment:

Babylon Brother said...

Your experience is heart-wrenching. The only good thing about your abusive Dad is the fact that you turned out so beautifully.