Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

Grandma Bailey Mailing Label

I really loved my Grandma Bailey.  

She lived in Santa Rosa, Texas, just a spit and a throw from the border of Mexico in south Texas, surrounded by vast acres of farm land.

When I would mail her cards of gifts when I was in my teens, I sent them to "Grandma Bailey. "  

Like, literally

Grandma Bailey
P.O. Box 1234
Santa Rosa, Texas

She would tell me later,  "the mailman came by and would yell to her through the screen door:  "is there a Grandma Bailey here?"  and she would laugh as she told the story at family gatherings.

I never understood for years why that was funny, but I just smiled along as she told the story.

But you see. ... As a child I never knew her first name.   So the words I put on the label were what I called her: "Grandma."

I didn't know until I was in my late teens that her REAL name was Virginia.  Virgina Bailey.

Now as I reflect back I see just how fun and funny that was!

And how cool it was my Mom or Dad never corrected the label :)

 Grandma with my Mom





Grandma with my Dad, his Mom

No comments: