Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

My Dad, Rudy Duncan.

My Dad, Rudy Duncan passed away on Monday, Feb 16th.

His wife called me from his phone and left a vm early the next morning.

When I finally spoke to her, she was very, very much in pain and wailing from her loss.  It was heartbreaking, and I was crying with her.

She told me over and over again how much he loved me.  I am still shocked how she talked more about his love for me, than her loss.

 My Dad and his beautiful wife, Henna.

After hearing about how he passed (aneurysm) and how much he loved me so much and talked about me ALL the time, I finally was able to interrupt her and tell her that he loved her unconditionally and that he told me several times that he stayed with her because she was strong enough for them both.  He always told me he needed a strong woman in his life to help him with the tough things in his life, and then along came his wife, Henna.

They would have been married 32 years this Summer.

I was suppose to see him in April, when I was to go to Virginia for a trip for work.  Henna said he was already making all these plans for us.  ;(

Here is my Dad and I when I was 3 months old:


My Dad wrote to me just in December, "am REALLY glad that I have facebook.  I can see you everyday.
I Love You, Dad"


He told me several times that he liked facebook because of that.  He didn't comment much, but he checked my page everyday he said.

Luckily my birthday was just last week.  While he always calls me on Feb 6th (not my birthday), he called me back again on the correct date (February 9th) so I was able to talk to him twice recently.  I always laughed when he would call on the 6th - he's done that for YEARS for some reason not remembering it's the 9th, lol.  We both would laugh about it. 

My Dad did love me very much.  As did my Mom.  I am very sad and in shock that he is actually really gone.  I could call him at any time, and now there is no one left to call.

He and I were separated for 20 years - he gave me the space I requested - my Mom was too upset that we were talking so I asked for his help that we not contact each other until college.  While we kept in touch through cards, (even though he was a procrastinator and didn't send many cards, he still thought of me every day), I hadn't seen him for many, many years.  In 2005, we decided to meet up and it had been 20 years since I last saw him.

We were both a mess "meeting" each other again but it was the best, most memorable visit I have with him.  We hadn't talked as adults, really, before that.

We then kept in touch and he gave me great advice the next 9 years.  I only saw him a couple more times, so that's why this upcoming April visit was so special to us both.  ;(

I miss him so much and now wish I had spent more quality time with him.  He truly loved me so dearly and so much and I am hearing he talked about me all the time.  And he was GREAT man.

As I matured, I found I had the same good characteristics and personalty he had.  

My Dad told me once he enjoyed reading this blog.  And enjoyed to read about the woman that I had become.  He said he actually suggested certain blog entries to his colleagues b/c they could be so helpful.  All the feedback from him meant so much to me.

I wish we had more photos together.  All the ones I have I'm mostly a little child.  He taught me how to tie my shoes - I don't remember too much more (my parents divorced when I was 7 years old).

I will miss him SO MUCH!!!     This is all so extremely painful.....

I love you, Dad,
Your Pooter Poot,
Always




No comments: