Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

My Emotional Switzerland Trip

I saw a note on FaceBook in late September.  "Anyone want to be a travel buddy and help me fly to Switzerland?" one of my friends posted.

My girlfriend, Cristina, had an 8-month old son and Little Marco's Dad lives in Switzerland and she was moving her and Little Marco there from Texas.

I saw the post, went about my day, had dinner, got in bed, phone starts to vibrate.

It's Cristina asking me if I want to help her fly to Switzerland.  I was like, "uh, I dunno about that."  She suggests maybe I could use the break (because of my Mom's recent passing), along with helping her with her move.

Turns out she has trouble flying. To the point she has to take motion-sickness meds which causes her to sleep and also not be able to eat (which means no energy).  Since she would be traveling so far with many layovers with a baby and extra bags (because she was moving there), her and Little Marco would need definitely need some help.

Cristina and Marco had budgeted for a travel companion when they saved up money for the move, but I still felt guilty about that part.  But Marco couldn't fly there and back AND get the apartment ready for the move all the while trying to work. 

Here's the kicker about me, tho, lol:  I hate long flights, despise international travel, have never been around a baby before, and the trip was only about 2-3 weeks away.

But, the next day, I researched my vacation time, checked if my passport was up-to-date, and debated, "should I even go?  Really?  This would be crazy."

Then I talked to my boss about the dates, remembered there was a holiday on that Monday we would be traveling, and thought, "I actually, could feasibly go on this trip." 

So I told her yes.

And then a funny thing happened.

I got excited!

OMG, I was going to Switzerland!  I hate long flights and international travel but hey, I was going to Switzerland!  I hear it's so beautiful there and who could pass up this opportunity anyway??

So, why was this trip so emotional for me, you are asking yourself?

Well, it moved me to tears throughout the entire trip because I was able to go because sadly, my Mom passed.  Although she would have loved for me to go and have this experience, it's because of her passing I could go at all, because otherwise I would be home taking care of her (for the last 1 1/2  years I haven't traveled).

Further, every flight I ever took (I used to travel quite often), I would always call my Mom before take off.  She would tell me every time, "Pass on to the pilot he has precious cargo - he better fly safe!"  And I also called her each time I landed, "I made it, Mom."  "Oh good," she would reply with an always added "I love you."

"I love you, too, Mom."

So, flying to Austin the night before to meet Cristina was brutal.  And then the next day EACH leg of the trip to and from Switzerland was brutal.

I cried, every single take off and landing.

When Cristina's parents dropped us off at the airport, I lost it!  I'm crying and crying as I see parents trying to say goodbye to their daughter and grandson.  I cried more than they did because they were all trying to keep it together, but I was so moved and torn up about what I was witnessing because I know how much Cristina is going to miss her family and I know how much the Grandparents are going to miss Little Marco and his Mom (their beloved daughter).

Then when we finally get to Switzerland, Marco's sisters met us at the airport at 730 in the morning to welcome their new family members (and the first grand baby/nephew of the family).  I lost it again as Marco finally got to hold Cristina and Little Marco after being apart for the last few months, while at the same time his sisters were enamored with joy and tears about finally meeting Little Marco for the first time.  Luckily I finally wasn't the only one crying hard, lol.

But it was very moving for me to see both spectrum's in a 24-hour time period, all the while trying to fly without hearing my Mom's voice.

As the 5 days in Switzerland progressed, many friends back home asked me how the scenery was and was it beautiful there.  The answer was yes.  Because I saw the most amazing thing I have prolly ever witnessed:  the undying love between a Mother and Child.

I don't think anyone would have ever guessed this was Cristina's first child, because she is a such a great Mother to Little Marco - caring, empathized, loved, cherished, nurtured, etc. 

Little Marco warmed up to me and he and I became fast friends.  You would never have guessed I hadn't EVER been around a baby before.  But it was Marco that allowed me to be his friend and within only a few days, he and I would have long talks and spend quality time together as I wanted Cristina and Marco to be able to get things for their new apartment.  Little Marco was charming and alluring all at the same time to me. For an 8-month-old, he stole my heart!

But it was the love between Mother and Child that moved me.

I loved the times I overheard Cristina laugh when Little Marco would smile at her.  I loved seeing Little Marco light up a room when his Mom would walk in. I loved how Cristina could make Little Marco stop crying or start to laugh and giggle. I loved how she helped Little Marco transition from Texas with Grandparents to Switzerland with Mom and Dad.  And I loved that I was able to witness for 5 full days the boundless, tremendous, immeasurable love between a Mother and her Child. 

I am so extremely grateful beyond words I was able to witness such a thing.  I honestly don't think I would have ever seen the bond like this between a Mother and Child if I didn't go on this trip.  While maybe in the future I might see friends with their babies, nothing will compare to this.  It was for 5 entire, full, amazing, moving days. The timing was beautiful, although exponentially emotional, but so amazingly wonderful to be a part of.  I now truly understand just how much my Mom loved me and had love for me.  And why we were so beautifully close.  Even as I write this, I'm crying.

I admire Cristina and Marco. This was a huge step but the right step, but it wasn't easy.  Cristina left her entire family, her friends, and job to do what was right for Little Marco and give him am amazing country to grow up in with both his parents.

Mourning the loss of the most important person in your life is very difficult to describe and to also overcome.  And although Cristina and Marco thought the trip to Switzerland would take my mind off things (i.e., my Mom's passing), it reinforced just how much I love my Mom with all my might. 

I will never be able to explain just how moving, emotional, sentimental, and therapeutic this trip was for me and my heart.

I'm so very grateful Cristina thought of little 'ole me to help her move.  She told me she thought the trip would distract me from my sorrow and she also expressed she knew what a helpful person I was and thought I could be a big help to her.

I am so glad she thought of me!

Because Cristina and Little Marco needed my help, and instead, they helped me.

Pic I took in Switzerland

My Mom and I, when we traveled from Japan to the States (I was about 1 1/2).

Grandma, Little Marco, and all the luggage, at the Austin, Texas Airport

Welcome balloons in English and German

Little Marco and I

 
 Cristina and Little Marco

Dad and Little Marco

My first stamp in my passport

 The Cutey Pie!!

1 comment:

Lyn Jones said...

What an amazing story... just about killed me, but truly amazing! :)
It's true that people come into our lives for a reason. Whether it be for a season or a lifetime. Each individual is just as important as the other. Cristina was there for you to help you grow through the most difficult time in your life and I'm glad she was able to do that for you... but in the same sense I want you to know that your encouraging words & your posts do the same for me. I too have experienced great loss. Not only once or twice but 3 times. I'm not as strong as you are and I have put it out of my mind for the longest and just not dealt with it. The pain, the sorrow, the suffering is almost unbearable. Each day I have realized just how precious time with these individuals actually was. How much love was shared and the great memories that flood my mind from time to time. I just want to say "Thank you & tell you how wonderful I think you are!"