Pages

Friday, November 29, 2019

Fossil Rim!

One of the things I've always wanted to do is spend the night at Fossil Rim.

Fossil Rim is a drive-through park where you can feed wild animals.  However, they also have a cool package where you can spend the night!  I always wanted to do this, but for whatever reason never really set a date.  It was just something I put on my bucket list.



 


For whatever reason, in September I asked my coworker (a friend named Leslie) if she still wanted to do this and she said yes and voila! We picked a date in Oct!

I didn't really look it up too much, because I like to be surprised by things like this. So, I tried not to look at photos on their website or read too much about it.  Therefore, I wasn't really sure what I was in for or what to expect.

It was truly an amazing experience!

AND! To find out that Fossil Rim is actually a place that takes in animals to care for them and does a lot of conservatory things for animals to save their lives, makes me love this place even more.  I am a lot like my Mom and don't really like places that have animals (like circus, zoo's etc) because they are just caged and not running around in their normal habitat.  Even drive through parks make me wonder if the animals are being taking care of, or is the place just making money?  Well, Fossil Rim is 100% about taking care of animals, even rescuing some and rehabilitating others.  They are known for accepting animals that need help, to prepare them to live a healthier life.

Part of staying over night is we get to be on a behind-the-scenes tour of the animals that are almost extinct. We also find out what Fossil Rim is doing about them, how they are helping, and what their mission is.

Mission:  Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is dedicated to the conservation of species in peril, conducting scientific research, training of professionals, responsible management of natural resources and public education. Through these activities, we provide a diversity of compelling learning experiences that inspire positive change in the way people think, feel and act towards nature.
When we went to the behind the scenes tour, our host was a very jovial excited woman named Sarah. She was SO excited for us to be there and be able to find out about how Fossil Rim takes care of the almost-extinct animals. I knew it was going to be a great tour when half the tour 'bus' were repeat guests!


 

Then we went through the drive through park and had special access to many of the animals, like these giraffes!





Sarah and I at one point somehow started to talk about my Mom and Sarah made a comment that she "Wished my Mom could have been able to come to Fossil Rim," and of course I immediately teared up; I completely agree with her. Anytime someone says something so endearing about my Mom, means the absolute world to me.  And Sarah was spot on.  It seemed like she was reading my heart - my Mom would have LOVED this place!  It's unfortunate I wasn't able to bring her here, but at least I saw everything through my Mom's eyes and heart.

And of course the other highlight of this trip is spending the night. Where the cabins are located (which by the way are super small, lol) are situated in front of a watering hole!




So as we sat in wooden seats, we could see animal after animal after animal walking down and drinking water all throughout the day, and especially in the early evening hours. I think at one point I counted over 50 animals!



 



If anyone ever has a chance to visit Fossil Rim in Glen Rose, Texas, I highly recommend it!


No comments: