Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

Remembering Others

I watched the movie Coco the other day on a flight.  It's a really cute movie about a boy stuck in the Land of the Dead.  It's a cartoon, so don't fret - it's still very cute and great for kids.

At one point in the movie, "Miguel (main character) encounters Héctor, a down-on-his-luck skeleton who once played music with Ernesto (the guy Miguel is trying to talk to). Héctor offers to help Miguel reach Ernesto; in return, he asks Miguel to take his photo back to the Land of the Living, so that he might visit his daughter before she forgets him and he disappears completely."

The part of the movie that made me sad is the very last part:  before she forgets him.


The Day of the Dead (what the movie also revolves around) is a Mexican holiday celebrated by people of Mexican ancestry. It is acknowledged internationally in many other cultures. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey.

I don't even care about myself, honestly.  If I die tomorrow and no one remembers me within a few years, I'm okay with that.  But what I'm NOT okay with is people forgetting about my Mom.  The main reason I would love for friends to think about me on Mother's Day is because my Mom was so very special to me and she DESERVES to be remembered.

And now that my friend Dave has passed, what happens to his memory?  I don't want him forgotten either.

I think as we get older, this crosses our minds.  I mean, I know that there are millions of people we know nothing about who had no impact on history.  So, it's not just my Mom and Dave who eventually wont be remembered.  But boy, even typing that sentence out caused physical heart pains. 

After I'm gone, who will talk of my Mom?  I suppose anyone who happens to run across my blog will know of Toni Bailey (if this blog just magically stays up years after my passing).  But it saddens me to realize that some day I wont be around to help her be remembered.    

WTF.





No comments: