Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

RIP Karen Atwell

My colleague and friend, Karen Atwell, passed away at the very young age of 53 on March 16th.

While she was in the hospital with phenomena, my heart was scared for her. You know, that instinct we sometimes feel. I reached out to her to show my love, but didn't get a response.

Since her passing, I have thought of her a lot.  I also come across things that remind me of her often.  

We first met when I traveled to Tampa for work and stopped by an office there.  We immediately connected as we both loved and missed our Moms dearly - almost paralyzing for each of us back then.  We could relate and we had an immediate bond because of that understanding that is tough to describe - it can only be felt.

She was a great friend.  She had a huge heart.  She had a beautiful soul. She laughed a lot and her laugh was memorable!  I just loved her laugh.  She was so caring to everyone and her loss has hit many of us in ways that's difficult to describe. She made an impact and was a truly awesome person.

Her and I spent many nights drinking after work for about a year, and we became really close spending all that time together.  After that year, she went back to Tampa, but we kept in touch.  She sent me an adult coloring book of all-Paris things as a gift during a very-long-stint of stress at work.  When she came to Fort Worth in June of 2018, she blocked off an entire day just to spend with me and we spent the day going to the Botanical Gardens. We walked and talked and laughed and caught up. 

She was hysterical and fun and a great woman.  Too young to leave her family and friends, for sure.

I love and miss you, Karen.









No comments: